CMAS Scientific Diving Centers
- The CMAS Scientific Diving Center (BRAS00) is located at the Universidade do Vale do Itajaí (UNIVALI) in Itajaí SC, Brazil
- The CMAS Scientific Diving Center (GERS00) is located at Technische Universität Bergakademie Freiberg, Freiberg, Germany
- The CMAS Scientific Diving Center (GERS01) is located at the University of Stuttgart, Germany
- The CMAS Scientific Diving Center (ESPS00) is located at the Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
- The CMAS Scientific Diving Center (EGP/S00) is located at the Centre for Maritime Archaeology & Underwater Cultural Heritage, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt
UNESCO-CMAS Code of Practice for Scientific Diving
The Code of Practice for Scientific Diving
The Code of Practice for Scientific Diving has been prepared by the CMAS Scientific Committee to provide scientific divers with guidance on safe practice under varying experimental and environmental conditions.
The Code offers advice and recommendations on administrative practices, insurance, terms of employment, medical standads, training standards, dive planning, safety with different breathing gases and different breathing systems, expedition planning, and guidance for a wide range of different diving environments. Conditions analyzed include polar diving, cave diving, night diving, diving in the open ocean, diving in surf, diving at high altitude, etc. Recommendations are also given for the use of various potentially hazardous types of equipment, such as electrical systems, toxic chemicals, and radioactive tracers.
The Code does not have the authority of law, and in every country the legislation will take precedence over this Code. Nevertheless, it is intended that this document should be compatible with legislation, and should help Legislators, Diving Officers, Administrators, Heads of Laboratories, and divers, to maintain safety at all times. The methods and practices racommended are derived from professional experience at many Universities and Marine Laboratories.
There are detailed references to bibliography and addresses of experts.
N.C. Flemming & M.D. Max, Scientific Committee of the Confederation Mondiale des Activites Subaquatiques (CMAS),1988, Code of practice forand Cultural Organization, 7 Place de Fontenoy. 75700 Paris, ISSN 0503·4299
N.C. Flemming & M.D. Max, Scientific Committee of the Confederation Mondiale des Activites Subaquatiques (CMAS),1996, Scientific Diving: A General Code of Practice. Unesco; 2nd edition (May 1996), ISBN-13: 978-9231032509